Friday, May 4, 2012

a lovely turn of events

Today, I did something that was quite out of character for myself. I really did. I took a boxed banana bread mix, and I baked banana bread with it. It's really very rare that I can be found making processed food of any kind. Typically, everything is made from scratch. EVERY THING. This is in part because it's so much more enjoyable that way, so much more of an accomplishment. But also because it tastes better that way, and also because that way, I get all of the credit. I'm selfish like that. But today, my roommate wanted banana bread, and though we had everything else, there was no flour to be had. 


Aside from that, this day has been quite enjoyable. Quite. Mmm. The sky is overcast, and I couldn't be happier about the way the light's coming off the clouds. I had leftover, cold chinese food for breakfast, which is a culinary delight that should get much more glory than it does. I spent quite a bit of time reading A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenburg, and trying to keep from crying, which is usually what happens when I read beautifully written prose, no matter how sad or happy they might be. Well written is sad or happy enough to cause tears from me. 


This afternoon, I am excited to say, will be the first time I get to clean my chiropractor's house for her, and though initially I was really nervous about this prospect, seeing her house calmed all fears. She has a GIANT iguana  named Junior, and her living room is decorated by a huge, ratty advertisement of the movie, "E.T." in french. The poster looks really old, and it makes the house. It really does. It's the perfect touch. She's a doll of a woman, really feisty, brutally honest, with a quirky son. She likes to tell me that my head's not screwed on straight, and she once told me that she's really glad she had a son, because all little girls are.....well, a rude word. Anyway, she's a doll. And then, after I come home, I'll eat battered halibut and mashed potatoes with caramelized onions and watch Lars and The Real Girl, twice, until 1 a.m. and then I'll sleep peacefully and probably wake up with a sinus headache. 


I wish everyone else such a pleasant day, as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment