Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cupcakes on the brain

The other day, I made some cupcakes. 


Banana cupcakes with caramel buttercream, to be exact. And, they were heavenly. Heavenly. Anyway, it got me thinking (which is very dangerous), because I'd been reading the book Rich Dad, Poor Dad and though it is horribly written and very cheesy (two things I hate) it did remind me that since I can remember, I've wanted to start my own business. 


So in this case, cupcakes+reading=dreams to start my own cupcake food cart. 


Mhmm, girl, you heard right! The more I think about it (and I've been thinking about it a lot) the better and better it seems! (And see, I used two exclamation points in the span of two sentences, which I NEVER do...exclamation points are my least favorite punctuation mark...so you know I MEAN IT.) 


Cupcakes have been on my brain. I can't stop it...I cannot stop it. First, banana cupcakes with caramel butter cream. Then, ginger bamboo cupcakes with cream cheese sriracha frosting. Next, you've got a lovely chocolate cupcake with blueberry frosting and strawberry cupcake with cinnamon sourcream frosting. Once I get started on something, it's hard for me to stop. Oh, I also had an idea (not yet fully formed) for some type of cupcake (maybe a yellow butter cupcake) with cream cheese frosting, and cheez-its somehow incorporated into that mix. I love cheez-its with vanilla ice cream. I know it's odd, but they're so salty and cheesy and delicious with that sweet, plain vanilla. 


Anyway, I was at a Bible study not too long ago, and a lovely girl there prophesied over me, and with tears in her eyes, told me that, "You have so many dreams, and I think that God wants you to know it's ok to follow them! He placed them in your heart for a reason, and whichever direction you choose to go, you'll flourish." So, I feel like I just might pursue this path of cupcake-scented foodcart madness. If you could pray for me about that, that I would feel God's hand and be granted his wisdom (I am NOT a business woman by any stretch of the imagination) that would be so greatly appreciated. And now, after much ado about very little, here is a recipe (or two) for you to try on your own, and reach frosted pastry bliss. 


Banana Cupcakes 
Makes about 15

1 1/2 C sifted ap flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 stick salted butter
3/4 C packed brown sugar
1 egg and 2 egg yolks
2 very ripe, large bananas
1/2 c buttermilk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 c chopped pecans (optional. I did not add them when I made these, and still they were gorgeous)

Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
Cream the butter and sugar together for about two minutes using an electric hand mixer on medium speed. Add the eggs, cream the mixture for 3 minutes more. Add the bananas and the buttermilk, and the vanilla. Beat until the bananas are mashed up. Add the dry ingredients, a little at a time, and beat until just incorporated. if you'd like, add the pecans.

Fill prepared cupcake pans 3/4 full, and bake for about 15 minutes, until the tops of the cakes spring back when pressed.

Caramel Buttercream Frosting
Makes enough for 15 cupcakes

1/2 c sugar
2 T water
2 T heavy cream
1 stick salted butter, softened
2 egg whites, room temp
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Bring 1/4 cup of sugar and the water to a boil in a small pan. Wash sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals. Cook, undisturbed, until caramel is a dark amber. Remove from heat, slowly add cream, stirring until smooth. Let cool.

Beat butter with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, usually 3 minutes (unless you have weird butter).
Place egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar in a heatproff bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Whisk until sugar dissolves and it registers 160º. Remove from heat, whisk for 5 minutes on medium speed. Increase speed to high, whisk for 6 minutes, until stiff, glossy peaks form. Reduce to medium, add the butter, whisk thouroughly, add vanilla. On low speed, add the caramel and beat until smooth, 3-5 minutes.

This frosting is to die for, and easier to make than it sounds. You'll end up wanting to frost everything with this. From cupcakes to cookies to toast. I ate about half of it out of the bowl (I am a little ashamed to admit that). Anyway, have a good day, and MAKE THESE CUPCAKES.

No comments:

Post a Comment